Flammable and Combustible Materials

Hazmat Placards

Flammable and Combustible Materials Storage

The Chelmsford Fire Department is responsible for permitting flammable and combustible materials storage in the Town of Chelmsford. Apply for a storage permit on the Chelmsford Fire Department permitting portal. Use the Flammable and Combustible Materials application. 

Materials covered are:

  • Flammable and combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, diesel, fuel oil, isopropyl alcohol, waste oil, etc.
  • Flammable and combustible gases such as propane, acetylene
  • Flammable solids
  • Compressed and cryogenic gases
  • Storage of combustible goods >2,500 cubic feet
  • Laboratory chemicals
  • Storage of mulch >300 cubic yards
  • Combustible dust generating operations
  • Combustible fibers >100 cubic feet
  • Aerosol products >500 lbs.
  • Propane >42 lbs.

Depending on the quantities of materials stored on a property, a storage license issued by the Chelmsford Select Board may also be required.  Apply for a flammable and combustible material storage permit here.

Hazardous Materials Processing

A permit shall be required for any property that processes hazardous materials or employs processes that create hazardous materials. Permits are required for facilities that are classified as Category 2 through Category 5 as defined by 527 CMR 1.00 Ch 60.8.  Apply on the Chelmsford Fire Department permitting portal. Use the Hazardous Materials Processing application.

Industrial Ovens or Furnaces

All industrial ovens shall be inspected and permitted as part of the flammable and combustible/hazardous materials inspection process.